Friday, November 10, 2006

Starting the Conversation

This is my new blog, designed to capture random thoughts on a variety of topics that strike in no particular order. My hope is that I can get some interaction with people with similar "idiot" powers - and generate some sense in this crazy, mixed-up world. Think of a group of super-idiots, who share super-powers with different insights into stuff that should be common-sense...

I reserve no special power to myself, except that maybe every now and again I go selectively blind. Onto the first chance to rescue the world from the powers of evil...

If customers are engaged, then when do they get married?
Having just spent more than 4 hours in the company of a bunch of people who all felt they were engaged, I was glad to see that there's a lot of potential for polygamy left in this world. Some were engaged with each other, some were engaged with customers, and some were engaged with employees (I thought that was against company rules...). A rant:

Just because Gallup calls a set of people engaged doesn't mean they are. I didn't see any banns nailed to a church door. The math is a stretch (and secret stuff...I love secrets! No, not those secrets Betsy!). The paradigm doesn't explain the satisfaction-to-loyalty-to-advocacy journey except that some PhD says it does. Danger, Will Robinson! Anyone who can't come up with more compelling copy than CE11 needs a reality transplant. Or a small room with an ocean view and a tight-fitting jacket...

Here's what I think HumanSigma (spell-check that Ben Jonson!) means - if you can get your own people (you know, the ones you pay to turn up in the morning and drink your coffee) interested in your brand and telling your customers good things about it, then your customers will know more about the brand and some of them will get emotional about it. Which means they will go and talk to other people.

And we won't tell you what we think until you sign a check. And just to prove we're smarter than you, we won't give you the data or show you the algorithm. But we're engaged with you - and everyone else on our client list (hmm, sounds like a gigolo story to me...).

Lord save us! You're telling me that I can come up with this sort of stuff and people will pay me a lot of money? How come I didn't think of this? I get emotional about football, Lance, and small children. Last time I got emotional about toothpaste, the guys came in the little white van and I got a lovely little free holiday at Gentle Rest Home for the Engaged.

You guessed it - I must be an idiot, right? Looking forward to your confirmation...

1 Comments:

Blogger Juria Yoshikawa said...

Hey Terry,
Congrats on the new blog and a very Terry one at that. I enjoyed your first post and appreciate the mention. I also get emotional about my kids, especially while they're still small. My son's the one who is emotional about football (he actually cried when Zidan got kicked out he last game). What does it take to be a true idiot?
Lance

11:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home